The most demanded products to sell in Africa
Amid slowing economic activity during the pandemic, the e-commerce sector saw unprecedented growth as more people went online. The demand for goods was higher, and more than ever consumers were shopping online. E-commerce’s share of global retail trade rose from 14% in 2019 to about 17% in 2020 since more consumers in emerging economies adopted online shopping.
According to a United Nations report, in 2020, over two billion people purchased goods or services online, and during the same year, e-retail sales surpassed 4.2 trillion U.S. dollars worldwide. Many e-commerce businesses have seen their sales grow to record levels, and this year, more people have taken their businesses online as there is high demand for people who have an online presence. According to a report by Statista, e-commerce in Africa was valued at 16.5 billion dollars in 2017. Another report by the consulting firm McKinsey, states that this value could well go up to 75 billion dollars by 2025.
Even though there are many products to sell online, just a few of them are high in demand. Unless you are running a marketplace, most e-commerce businesses will likely focus on single niche products.
Here are the some of the most demanded products to sell in Africa;
- Natural skincare and cosmetics products: Natural skincare and cosmetics products have become increasingly popular as more people transition into using more organic products. From hair care to skincare to cosmetic products, more consumers have become aware of artificial ingredients’ effects on their bodies and the environment. As a result, the skincare and cosmetic industry have proven to have a high growth potential.
- Home and office equipment: Setting up a home office is a trend since the pandemic started. More people work from home now, and the demand for home and office equipment has gone up.
- High-end fashion products: High-end fashion products are also in high demand in Africa. These products are always in high demand from clothes, jewellery, accessories, blue light glasses, and hair extensions.
- Mobile phones and accessories: Mobile Phones and accessories are also high-demand products. According to a report by Statista, 23.4 million units of smartphones were shipped to Africa in Q1. Mobile phones and accessories are one of the most sought after products in Africa.
- Wearable devices: Wearable devices like smartwatches, fitness trackers have been in high demand in Africa. This device helps users to monitor their physical activities, calorie intake and even shows their heartbeat. This is why the demand for wearable devices is skyrocketing every year.
- Baby products: There is a high demand for baby products in the African market today. From baby toys, diapers, educational tablets, and many more The need for these products is increasing on a daily basis.
- Tripods and ring lights: Producing high-end visual content for users has been on the trend now, increasing the demand for tripods and lighting equipment that can aid in the production of better videos and pictures.
- Kitchen equipment: Kitchen equipment is always in high demand as people are constantly upgrading their kitchen appliances or buying pieces of equipment that can make cooking a lot faster.
Before starting any business, one of the critical aspects to consider is a gap in the market. Conversely, market opportunities can be identified by analysing changes in the environment with technological developments since most products are always seasonal demands. The gap you are trying to fill and meeting the market demand will determine the possibility of your business taking root.
With the rapid increase in market growth, many retailers have been able to capitalise on the high demand for these products by offering these products in their online stores to meet the needs of their consumers. If you an international business hoping to sell to Africa, you can now accept payments online with Klasha. Your customer also enjoy the unique advantage of quick, cost-effective, and direct shipping of physical goods from across the globe to their doorsteps.
Don’t have an account yet? Click here to create one.